If you are interested in becoming a public servant or in having a career within the government, one thing you should look into is the Civil Service Exam – Pencil and Paper Test (CSE – PPT). It is by passing this exam that you have a shot at any of the 1st and 2nd level government positions.
Before we go to the qualifications and requirements, know that just like other forms of government applications, First Come, First Serve is being practiced. The Civil Service Commission may also close the application earlier than expected once they have reached their total number of expected applicants.
So, are you qualified to take the exam? You are if you can meet the following qualifications:
- 18 years of age at the time of filing
- Have good moral character
- Never been convicted by final judgment of an offense or crime including moral turpitude, immoral conduct, dishonesty, examination irregularity, drunkenness and addiction to drugs
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from military service, or dismissed for cause from any civilian position in the government
If during the course of your application CSC has discovered that you have violated any of the things mentioned above, they will disqualify you right away. Any fees incurred will be forfeited.
For those who qualified, here are the requirements that they need to prepare:
1. Accomplished Application Form
You can fill this up on site or you can just download the form online. Just make sure that you leave the signature and thumb mark blank as you need to do this in front of a CSC representative.
2. ID Pictures
CSC has specific instructions when it comes to ID pictures. These are:
- Must be taken within the last 3 months
- Must be four (4) pieces
- Passport size
- Colored with white background
- Should contain a handwritten name tag that shows your signature over your printed name
- No eyeglasses and other types of accessories that could distort your appearance
- Must not be enhanced
3. Valid ID
This is any identification card that has a clear picture of you, your signature, and date of birth. You need one original and one photocopy.
You can present any of the following;
- Driver’s License
- PRC License
- SSS ID
- GSIS ID
- Voter’s ID
- BIR ID
- Philhealth ID
- Postal ID
- Company ID
- School ID
- Police Clearance
- Barangay ID
4. NSO Birth Certificate
You can get this online or at any PSA office near you.
5. Examination Fee
Please prepare 500 pesos for this.
6. Certificate of Retention or Re-acquisition Philippine Citizenship
Original and photocopy of your Certificate of Retention or Re-acquisition Philippine Citizenship if you are a dual citizen.
Proper attire should be observed during filing. To know where your exam will be held, visit the CSC official website. School assignments are normally released two weeks before the exam.
Now that you know what to do, the next step is to prepare yourself and your requirements. When in doubt, do not hesitate to consult a CSC staff. Good luck on your application!